Thursday, May 14, 2015

GAIN - Google Sheets

When I was in middle school, I had a computer/keyboarding class where we learned how to use Excel during a 2 or 3 week lesson.  It was my least favorite portion of that class.  Excel, at the time, seemed obtuse, awkward and like a lot of math formulas that barely made sense to me.  I was able to learn most of it, but figured I'd be unlikely to use it again because of how much I disliked it.

Yet, here I am.  Using the Google version of Excel, Sheets.  And since it has been over a decade since I last learned how to effectively use Excel, I had to start basically from scratch when dealing with Sheets.  But I am very glad that I did, because even though there are still a few of the functions and formulas that I'm unclear on, and the overall math portion of the program still looms over me like a hazy cloud at times, I realized how useful this kind of software will be when recording grades in a classroom.  It helps to organize, and if a mistake is made, it is easily correctable by simply deleting the former information and inserting the new.  No extra math is required, because the program does it for you.  That's incredibly convenient. 

You can view my gradebook here.  And in case you're wondering, yes... those are the names of the Avengers.  If you're wondering why I failed the Hulk, it's because he was prone to disappearing for long stretches of time.  I live in constant fear of being smashed for this.

Back on topic, I surprisingly ended up enjoying my time with Sheets.  It's a program that I will definitely take advantage of in the future, now that I remember how to use it.  I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with what I once considered my nemesis.

In the Graham book, it was discussed about how Sheets can be used to help students with Math, especially, but it also can be used to help them digest and interpret information from images with the way that one can make charts and put them in the Sheets document, as well.

I hope everyone else was able to use Sheets effectively.  Even if you found it confusing, it is definitely useful.  I think it is worth learning and sticking with.

1 comment:

  1. Again, a little light on the Common Core references. Surely out of reading a whole chapter you can get more than this. However, I will let it go, because you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete