Monday, May 18, 2015

GAIN - Google Forms

I, like many of you, had never used this software prior to this assignment.  While I had previous experience with Documents and Sheets, Forms was something that until now I really never even knew existed, or what it even did.  Now that I've seen how simple it is to use, and how it can make grading and quiz creating much quicker, it's something that I hope to take advantage of in the future!

I'm really glad we used Sheets before this, as reacquainting myself with the formulas in Sheets was very helpful in the grading portion of Forms.  While I did view the tutorials showing me how to do it, most of it was very simple in comparison to what we were doing when we created our gradebooks in Sheets for the previous GAIN assignment. 

When I went to create a form, I decided that I would do one on my favorite movies: Star Wars (the original trilogy).  I'm a huge nerd, so they aren't the easiest questions for the uninitiated, but if you would like to take that quiz, you can do so here.  When you are done, hopefully (if I did it right, anyway), you can view results here.

I do have to warn you, though, that if you pick Greedo for the question of "Who shot first," then it is an automatic fail.  I'm mostly kidding.

While the assignment itself had us as teachers creating a quiz for our students to take, it was an idea in the Graham book that caught my attention as one of the coolest ways to use Forms in the classroom.  It was mentioned that by allowing our students to create their own Forms and surveys, they can learn how to collect and use and interpret data for their own projects.  I don't know why I didn't consider this myself, but this use would be a great way to meet a Common Core Standard, as well as assisting students in things like Science Fair projects, among other things.  Taking a survey of their fellow students to see how many of them like different flavors of ice cream, and then using those percentages and numbers to create a pie chart or something similar would also be a cool project to do in class.  There are tons of ways to use this software, but by using it this way, we are teaching our students to gather, prepare and interpret information in an easily accessible and simple-to-use way.

1 comment: